If you’ve read any number of my blogs, you would probably say that I usually post stuff on the more serious side. Well, today, I wanted to lighten it up a bit! Today my husband and I celebrate 2 years of marriage. I can’t believe we’ve been married for 2 years! It’s true when they say that time flies when you’re having fun! In honor of our 2 year anniversary, I wanted to share my top 10 favorite wedding memories (in no particular order):
1. Our Awesome Wedding Party! We had a fairly big wedding party, but more important than the numbers, we had people in our wedding party who were our closest friends. These friends were so special to us because they had each played such a special part in our lives and continue to do so. They made everything about our wedding extra fun!
2. ALL of the people! Jack and I have had a lot of people who have meant so much to us over the years. When it came time to make the guest list, we didn’t want to leave anyone out, which meant we had a ton of guests. We are so glad that we were able to celebrate our new life together with all of these awesome people that have and still mean so much to us!
3. My song! When Jack proposed, he wrote the sweetest song for me. Jack and my brother recorded an instrumental version of the song and that is what our wedding party walked down the aisle to.
4. All Dessert Reception! Jack and I wanted our ceremony to be a worship service, and our reception we just wanted to be a fun time of celebration. I love desserts, so what could be more fun than desserts??? We had an ice cream sundae bar, cheesecakes, and even a hot pink chocolate fountain!
5. Walking with my mom! After Jack and I were pronounced husband & wife, we came back down the aisles to get our parents and escort them out. Mom was sick and didn’t always have the strength to walk. I will always cherish the memory of getting to walk arm in arm with her up the aisle. To say that that moment was special would be an understatement.
6. Dancing with my Daddy! People have definitely put a spin on the father/daughter dance these days. I knew there were lots of sweet songs out there that I could dance to with my daddy, but I wanted to do a song that was unique and special. Several years ago, Daddy wrote a song for my brother and me called, “To Be the One.” The basic gist of the song is that Dad is thanking God for allowing him to be the one to tell my brother and me of God’s grace. I surprised Daddy by choosing this song for our daddy/daughter dance. Below is a picture of when he finally figured out what song was playing :)!
7. Our ShutterBooth! As wedding favors, we had a photo booth for our guests. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! We got to design a personalized logo, each guest got to take a copy of their picture(s) home, and we got to keep a copy in a scrapbook. This was actually Mom’s idea, & it was a GREAT one!
8. Jack’s Truck! Our friends went all out on decorating Jack’s truck. There’s no telling how many sticky notes they used… It was hilarious!
9. The Party Bus! Our ceremony and reception were in 2 different locations, so my dad came up with an awesome way to get the wedding party from point A to point B- the church bus. I know, this might sound kinda dumb to some people, but for our wedding party, it was awesome! A lot of us had made a lot of memories on that bus from various trips, so why not make one more memory?! There might’ve even been a Chinese fire drill involved… 🙂
10. I got to marry the love of my life & my best friend! The wedding planning, ceremony, reception, etc. were so fun and so special, but it wouldn’t have meant anything if I hadn’t have been marrying the man I knew I wanted to spent the rest of my life with. This is what it’s really all about. I thank God for blessing me with Jack and the gift of marriage!
Maybe you’re planning a wedding or maybe you’re dreaming of planning a wedding… If so, here’s my advice to you:
- Don’t get so caught up in the wedding that you forget about the marriage. The wedding lasts a day, but the marriage lasts a lifetime. Spend time preparing yourselves for marriage.
- Surround yourself with awesome people that you love. Most of my “Top 10” is happened because we surrounded ourselves with special people who meant so much to us.
- Make it “you!” This will be the only wedding you will have so throw in some special details and things that reflect you and your fiancee’s personality/special memories that you share!
I hope that if you’re married you can spend your anniversaries reflecting on your favorite wedding memories and favorite memories of marriage. Marriage is truly a gift from God! If you’re not married yet, when you take those marriage vows, mean them. Marriage isn’t something to be entered into lightly. My prayer for my marriage and all marriages is that they will reflect the love that Jesus Christ has for us!